Monday, March 3, 2014

HSG, AKA: Please Fill My Uterus With Dye

HSG. Hysterosalpingography. No, it's not a sound you make when you sneeze. I had only an inkling of an idea of what I was getting myself into. If you've read anything about them through other websites or blogs, you'll only hear about how much they hurt. So what happens?

After taking all your initial medical background then you will undress from the waist down and lay on an X-ray table. Although there were no stirrups for the feet, you are put into the same position you take when you have your annual woman's exam. Next they will insert a spectrum to dilate you and then use an iodine type solution to sterilize the uterus and to minimalise the risk of infection. Next a catheter will be inserted into the uterus so that the dye can go into the uterus and fallopian tubes. Next a balloon will be blown up to make it easier for the dye to flow and so that the x-rays can be taken. Then the dye will be inserted. At some point in there the spectrum was removed, and the balloon will be deflated a little and the x-rays will be taken. After the x-rays are taken, you're ready to get dressed and leave.

Now about the pain. For me there was a very small period of intense pain that only lasted a couple of seconds. There was also slight cramping like there is with a monthly cycle. It wasn't nearly as bad as people had described though. Ok, for just a second I had rethought the whole having a kid process if it was going to be that painful. It's not all that bad though. Really. Just a couple of seconds and then there is relief. Don't let what you've been reading on the internet scare you. Just think about the end result of achieving your reproductive dreams.

The best part was afterwards when I was texting my husband. The results had come out well. I was told everything was clear and that there were no blockages. He said, "So, does that mean we can start shopping for a baby?!" I had to laugh about that one.

Now the next step. Tomorrow I go for more blood tests, and hopefully Chris and I can start doing some cryobank searches. That seems like a whole other puzzle.

No comments:

Post a Comment